1. Robert mentioned that the Greek word metanoeo, translated repent, means to have a change of mind and heart that results in one viewing things from a different perspective. Why is it important that we understand that if there is no change of heart and mind there is no repentance. Answer Synopsis: It is important for at least two significant reasons. First, it is important because it reveals the truth that God commands us to have an inner change not simply an external one. It reminds us that God is not pacified when we only go through the motions of repentance. Secondly, it is important because a change of heart and mind allows for a more consistent and more enduring change. A change of action is a change of action while a change of heart and mind transform out whole lives (see Romans 12:1-2). Thirdly, Luke 13:3 says that “Unless you repent, you too will perish.” We need to know the consequences a non-repentant heart and mind.
2. What consequences does Matthew 13:15 (read out loud) say or imply as a result of having hard heart/hard head? Answer Synopsis: It prevents me from being able to heart the word so I cannot develop faith (Romans 10:17). It closes my eyes so it hinders my ability to have a change of perspective (a part of repentance). It prevents me from turning to God so it renders Him unable to heal me (“If I can’t hear God, God cannot heal me”). I believe that I am right so I naturally reject the message that is being presented.
3. What “hard heart” consequence Ephesians 4:18 reveal? How is this consequence dangerous? Answer Synopsis: The inability to understand is compromised with the result being that the people were “separated from the life of God.” They and us will miss the blessed life of God if we do not soften our hearts.
4. Why is it important to realize that genuine repentance on the inside always shows up on the outside? Answer Synopsis: Because a consistent change of behavior is the best evidence of a change of heart and mind. Tis truth provides and easy way for your and I do an easy repentance check.
5. Read Luke 3:7-9 and discuss the four areas os disobedience that result in such a strog rebuke from God
6. Read Luke 3:10-4. Who are the three “people groups” mentioned in the text? What is the manifestation of Kingdom repentance that John specified for each people group? Do you think it is a far statement to say that “The first area that Kingdom repentance will show up is in the area of your giving”? Why or why not? Do you think it fair to say “If you have not had a change of heart about your money and material things you probably have not experience Kingdom repentance?” Why or why not?
7. Read Matthew 6:19-24 and discuss the following questions: ? How does John the Baptists teaching mesh with Jesus teaching about money/materialism? ? How do you know if money is your King or if Jesus is your King? Answer Synopsis: John’s teaching is very similar in that both made it clear that if you have no change of perspective on your money and material things then you have had no genuine repentance. Two easy ways to tell if money or Jesus is your Master (King): 1, Examine your attitude and response when challenged about money. and your current investment strategy. 2, look at how much you give to internal investments in comparison to how much you give to immediate investments.
8. Robert said that money is not the exhaustive call to kingdom repentance but it is an inclusive call to kingdom repentance. What do you think he meant by that? Answer Synopsis: There are other areas of life that will demand repentance depending on the individual yet it seems that all humans have a repentance struggle when it comes to money.
9. ON OUR LAUNCH DAY, THE CROSSINGS INNERBELT WILL BEGIN A TWO SERVICE SECHEDULE. THE GOAL IS TO HAVE TWO INSPIRING SERVICES THAT ARE OF EQUAL SIZE. HOW WOULD A KINDGOM FOCUS EFFECT WHICH SERVICE YOU CHOOSE TO ATTEND AND IMPROVE?